Monday, February 16, 2009

Pneumonic Devices

So it's not as warm today, but last week felt like Spring. The daffodils began blooming, the dust was shaken off of tank tops and t-shirts, and the lawn mowers came out. It's a marvelous thing how smells can trigger memories.

I think of the Cup naturally.

I think about the early morning chill on my sundress skirted legs, I think about the sound of ice in a cooler being carried to the back of a truck. I think about the inevitable ringing of my phone with the "WHERE ARE YOU!!!!" or the "WE'RE ON THE WAY!!!!" I think about ham delights being eaten in the long line waiting to park . The music blaring from everyone's ride, the impatient look on the policeman's face waving waving waving us through.

The "THAT GIRL'S GOT MY DRESS ON!" The photo op's. The first trip to the bathroom. The getting a program simply to find everyone's spots. The wind that always whips up when we're putting our 10X10 (0nly!!!!) tent up. The tablecloths and centerpieces that are sure to be ruined and/or left behind- but they look oh so nice in the morning!

The new friends. The old. The bugle blare. The jumbo-tron.... my how far we've come. Everyone's family, everyone's friendly. You can just walk down a row and get handed a cold drink and invited for BBQ at every 3 spot just about.

I think about the hope for a tan, and the raccoon-eyed sunburn instead.

The ageless, timeless fun that we'll have. I think about all that.

And I wait.

For March 28th, 2009;

No comments:

Post a Comment